Building your own home is a significant investment that gives you the opportunity to customize the house for your family. With the right builder, the process can be rewarding and fun. Here are some of the most popular features to consider when building a new home.
Kitchen Features for Your New Home
The kitchen is where you prepare meals, spend time with your family, and entertain guests. Building your home allows you to design a kitchen that supports your family’s needs. Here are some unique kitchen features to consider when building a new home.
• A large kitchen island with comfortable stools is a great place for serving breakfast or helping the kids with their homework. When you have guests for dinner, the island provides extra seating.
• Under-cabinet lighting is an attractive and functional feature for any kitchen. Good lighting makes food prep easier and keeps your kitchen safer.
• A walk-in pantry provides plenty of space to store non-perishable food items, bottles of water, and table linens. It’s also a convenient place to keep your trash can out of sight.
Add an Extra Room When Building a New Home
You’ll choose the number of bedrooms and bathrooms, but when designing your home, think beyond the essentials. An extra room in the house gives you flexibility. What you do with the extra room depends on your interests. Some ideas for an extra room include:
• Design a home gym, complete with fitness equipment and mirrors that can double as a yoga studio.
• Any family will enjoy a media room with a giant television or projector screen and surround sound.
• Equip a game room with a pool table, dartboards, and comfortable seating.
“Smart” features keep getting better. As a result, technology has become one of the most popular features to consider when building a new home. Everything from security alarms to household appliances can be controlled by your smartphone. Below is a list of some of the smart technology you might add to your home.
• Improve home security with a smart system complete with cameras, alarms, and door locks you can control from your phone.
• Consider adding smart lighting so that you can power your lights on or off remotely.
• Programmable smart thermostats allow you to control the temperature inside your home no matter where you are.
• Smart plugs are outlets that you can operate from your mobile device. Power any device or lamp on or off using the app.
Consider Adding More Storage Space When Building a New Home
Don’t underestimate your storage needs. Without proper planning, even a well-designed room can feel crowded. Ample storage space also helps make a property more valuable when it comes time to sell. Below are a few storage ideas to add to your new home.
• Add custom shelving like built-in bookshelves to the living room and bedrooms.
• A mudroom provides space for jackets, shoes, and umbrellas, and will help keep the rest of the house clean during rainy or snowy weather.
• Request two closets in the primary bedroom so everyone has enough storage space.
• Have your builder add a few extra feet to the garage. This way, it can easily accommodate two or three cars and still have enough space for storing tools, bikes, and lawn equipment.
Accessible Laundry Room
When building a new home, consider the best place for your laundry room. When the bedrooms are on the top floor of a multi-level home, you will have to haul laundry up and down the stairs if your laundry room is on a lower level. Because you have input in the design of your home, opt for an upstairs laundry room. It will make one household chore a lot easier.
Your home may be the biggest investment you will ever make. When designing your living spaces, take the time to think about the needs of your family. Get involved in the building process and create a house that is perfect for you.